Sunday, January 17, 2010

Yummy Spicy Gazpacho

OK, so my assignment this week was to make something that used 8 or more servings of vegetables so that I could use it in bulk with my HMR foods. Well, SUCCESS!

I made a spicy gazpacho that kicks tail.

Here is what you do. It requires no cooking, just prepping. It took me all of 10 minutes.

2 large cucumbers diced
large 21 oz, canned tomato
10 scallions, chopped
2 cups of diced pepper (I used frozen)
2 cups of diced onion (I used frozen)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro (if you don't like cilantro, Italian parsley is good too)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar (I went a little light on the 1.4 cup measurement)
tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Tabasco (to taste)*
1 clove of minced garlic*

Mix all of the above together in a non-reactive bowl. Refrigerate. The longer it is in the cooler, the better it tastes. I like mine chunky, but if you like one more soup-like, then blend half the mixture, and put it all back together again.

* I didn't use Tabasco or minced garlic. Instead, I used two tablespoons of Asian Garlic Chili sauce. I love the stuff. I fell in love with chili sauces while travelling in Singapore. Here is the link to the company Huy Fong Foods . I got mine in my local supermarket. It makes it have a really nice kick.

The spice and the cool is actually really great in the winter. It is a nice alternative to the side salad.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! This is my first time to your blog and I am SO happy to see this recipe. I LOVE gazpacho and spicy food so I'm excited to give it a try! Looking forward to checking out the rest of your blog. Cheers!
    Charlene
    The Balance Beam

    ReplyDelete
  2. UPDATE: As it ages, it gets much much hotter!! I think I add a little less chilli sauce.. whoa mama!

    ReplyDelete