Saturday, February 27, 2010

Do you set SMART Goals or maybe DUMB ones?



In my professional life, I am a project manager. So, I am pulling out a tool I use all the time, in hopes it helps all of you out too.

Are you setting SMART goals for yourself? SMART is a mnemonic standing for goals that are:
Specific
Measurable
Attainable
Realistic
Time-based

This tool can be used for lots of things in your life, but I find that it is especially helpful on this journey of mine. While your mission might be to loose 25, 50, maybe 100lbs, maybe that is too big. Break it up into pieces that seem attainable in the near-future. Make it real. When you get close to acheiving that goal, set another SMART goal. Keep going. Keep moving.

As you all know, I am doing a 12 week push. My goal is to complete it, using the HMR program. I am measuring my weight, my measurements, my fitness calories. My mission though, is to lose an average of 3 pounds per week. 12 weeks is a realistic time frame where I can convince myself to be accountable. When I get close to finishing, I will set my next SMART goal.

This will put me to the next phase: SMARTER goals (SMART-Evaluate-Reevaluate). Constantly review the goals you have set and learn from the wins and losses.

Is this not cutting the mustard? Well how about trying DUMB goals. DUMB stands for:
Doable
Understandable
Manageable
Beneficial

Can you lose 100 pounds in 4 weeks? Not so understandable or manageable. Certainly not beneficial, as I would guess it would involve removing one's appendages with a very large knife.

Let me know if this helps and tell me about your SMART and DUMB goals! I am going to take this button and permanently place it on my blog. Maybe you can too. Cheers.

*image from affirmart*

12 comments:

  1. This was great. I think I am all about the SMART goals this time. Thanks for the help :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the word mnemonic!

    Seriously, very SMART tool. Thanks for sharing! Stay with your SMART goal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great blog. I was reading My Lipstick Life and stumbled on your comment. I am going to apply these principles along with what she posted and try to lose some weight. Thanks for this blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very helpful for sure! Thank you for sharing. All too many times we set unattainable goals for ourselves and low and behold we don't meet them and then the frustration sets in. It's important to be realistic and understand things take time and lots of hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Missa,
    It's nice to meet you :) I got your comment that you left on my blog and wanted to say thank you.
    I just read a little of your blog but we actually started at the same weight and close to the same week. I started Jan 25th at 283lbs.
    Would it be ok to follow along with your blog? Perhaps we can encourage each other as we make our way to Onederland, hehe
    Ya know, I actually started out using the Wii sports (that came with my console) and completly forgot to mention that in my blog. Will have to go back and adjust that, hehe

    Thank you for adding me to your followers list too.

    Lisa
    http://awiistory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right. Looking at short term goals seems more reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great points Missa. After all, isn't this weight loss journey also a project!!

    Thanks for commenting on my blog; I was born in Duisburg near Dusseldorf. It's the industrial centre of Germany... not a very pretty place at all. I vaguely remember visiting Wiesbaden when we travelled through Germany when I was 11.

    I look forward to sharing this journey with you (*_*)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post and thanks for commenting on my blog! I'm going to add you to my blg roll.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really good post! When I set goals I always try to push myself fairly hard, but often it's counter-productive... :o(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey girl...

    I had to restart my blog and wanted to let all my blogger friends know :)

    I have a ton of posts to catch up on...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! I have always loved the small incremental goal approach. It seems slow at first, but then it snowballs because you can keep up with it!

    ReplyDelete