Saturday, February 6, 2010
Workout Swap Anyone?
I never know what to do at the gym, so I am hoping if I share with you what my weight training routine is, we can do a swap to keep all of us challenged and entertained. I like to do programs where I do not need a ton of equipment. I travel for work, so I want to do something that I can probably accomplish in a hotel gym or even in my room. I have described the exercises in such a way that you can easily Google them and get more detail on how to do them. You can also ask one of the trainers at your gym. Since I am not a fitness pro, I would review. I had a trainer at the gym review my plan and make sure that my form was ok. eHow.com has been my pal.
I do the following for 3 sets of each, 12 reps per set. I will usually do the exercise with both arms at once, but feel free to do them one at a time. I have been doing this 2x’s a week for the last 2 weeks. It takes me about 25 minutes to get through 3 sets. I take breaks as needed in between sets.
1. Standing Bicep Curls with Dumbbells. I use an 8 lbs weight in each hand, but use something that puts some burn on for you. You should be struggling at the end of the 12 reps.
2. Standing Lateral Arm Raises with Dumbbells. I still use 2, 8lbs weights.
3. Standing Overhead Dumbbell Press. I use 2, 8lbs weights.
4. Lunges. I do 12 on each leg. I also do it in front of a mirror to make sure my knee doesn’t go over my toe.
5. Squats with assistance of an Exercise Ball. I have a bad back, so when I do squats, I have a tendency to over extend my lower back. By squatting while an exercise ball is against my back, it takes some of that pain away, but still allows me to get the exercise in. (Yes, you do this against a wall. No, I do not tape an exercise ball to my back).
6. Push-Ups. I am still doing the girly ones with my knees bent. But I will get there dang it!
8. Reverse Sit-Ups. I do these by raising my legs and crossing my ankles. I have seen some people do it with a exercise ball.
I will look forward to seeing what all of you come back with! Happy exercising!