Sunday, October 3, 2010

Association Football = Soccer = Win

Sweetheart and I are die hard football fans...  Sorry, let me clarify:  we are soccer fans.  Association football is the world's most popular sport, except in the United States, and I am never going to understand that.  It is so much more fast paced and full of strategy, compared with other sports.  The players are incredible athletes:  fast, agile, aggressive..  just awesome. (yes, I like American football as well, just not as much)

So why do I talk about this here:  fitness.  Soccer is fun and easy to play.
"According to a survey conducted by FIFA published in 2001, over 240 million people from more than 200 countries regularly play football.  While football has the highest global television audience in sport, its simple rules and minimal equipment requirements at amateur level, have no doubt aided its growth in terms of participation." (link)

So do Americans play?  Yup.
This is one of the few sports where a pick up game is more readily available and organized than any other sport.  So, I did a little digging.  Within 10 miles of my house, there are 9 separate soccer clubs that offer amateur league play for all ages.  So, Sweetheart's birthday is coming up, I am signing him up for Soccer lessons.  It will be a fun way for him to play and get ready to start into a league. It is also a way to get in that exercise without being the same ol' stuff. (Shh, don't tell him)

2 comments:

  1. I was in the best shape of my life when I was playing soccer in high school. I miss it a lot. :-) Maybe I should look into some amateur leagues....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great information, Missa. I promise not to tell your husband and I am excited to hear how he likes it.

    ReplyDelete